There are many different soft tissue and degenerative related conditions that can be effectively treated with Prolotherapy and/or Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). In order to identify if someone is a candidate for Prolotherapy and/or PRP, requires a medical consultation within our practice. Dr. Shim will review your history, provide a thorough examination, and review appropriate diagnostic studies related to your problem to determine if you are a candidate for Prolotherapy and/or PRP injections.
Candidacy Overview by Dr. Shim:
Dr John Shim of Shim Spine discussing if who is a candidate for PRP or Prolotherapy.
Contraindications to Prolotherapy and/or PRP:
- Patients who are diabetic (prolotherapy)
- Patients who have active infection or suffer from chronic infections
- Patients who have anemia or other blood disorders affecting clotting
- Patients who have or had cancer (malignancy)
- Patients who are not willing to follow a structured treatment protocol including rehabilitation
While Prolotherapy and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) can be very effective in the management of some soft tissue disorders, neither treatment should be viewed as a cure-all or guaranteed to work. Results may vary considerably from one patient to another.